Monday 11 November 2013

Remembrance Day Poppies


Today as a tribute to those who have fought and lost their lives in war I have painted red poppies on my nails.  
Red poppies were among the first to flower in the devastated battlefields of northern France and Belgium in the First World War. The vivid red of the poppy also signifies the blood spilled from fallen soldiers.

In England in 1919, the British Legion sought an emblem that would honour the dead and help the living. The Red Poppy was adopted as that emblem and since then has been accepted as the Emblem of Remembrance (ref).



 For these nails I first painted my nails with China Glaze Re-fresh Mint. I really like the colour of this polish, but I found it really gluggy and thick. I had to add nail polish thinner to the bottle every few nails.


I then used acrylic paint and some fine brushes to paint the poppies. 


It took me about 3 hours to do. I actually considered giving up and not doing my right hand. 
I'm glad I finished them though :) I really like them, and will probably keep them on until they chip.

Have you ever given up and not painted your non dominant hand?


Thanks for visiting :)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful:) Love that blue base color:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really love the colour too- It's not quite green but not quite blue :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I read every single one from both new and old posts, and will do my best to respond to any questions you may have in a timely fashion :)